Short term projects for the 4Runner:
Well, I had the truck running great for a few months. Then I took it wheeling, and it started missing. Still had power at full throttle, but low throttle it was rough. And it didn't want to start without a few rounds of starting fluid. One day when I wanted to go wheeling again, I tried to fire it up. After a few rounds with some gasoline in the throttle body, I managed to get it started. Came back a few minutes later and fuel was pouring down the block! Great. Upon inspection I noticed pools of fuel around one of the fuel injectors. Great. I guess its leaking because I forgot to use Vaseline upon installation of the new o-rings. My bad.
Well, I've had it. I'm done with this engine. I cant bear to tear it back down to the injectors again. So, I'm going to swap in a 350 V8 from a Blazer I bought for cheap. Already has headers, Edelbrock intake and 4 barrel carb. Ready to go. I just need to buy the Advance Adapters bellhousing to mate my 5 speed trans to the Chevy motor. Stay tuned for more info.
The V8 swap is mostly done and on the road. I still have a bunch of odds and ends to tie up, but its drivable. I am currently working on getting my power steering functional, and then I'll hit the trails. Cant wait!
You can check out the details of my V8 swap under the "performance" section
V8 swap is well underway. Keep up with progress here...
Truck was running great for a while. Then all of the sudden, it started missing really bad. I had no power. I thought it was something electrical. I tried putting on a new igniter and coil, new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, but that didn't help. I could pull the #5 plug wire and it ran the same, so I figured something was up with #5. I did a compression check, and all cylinders had good compression. When I went to put the plugs back in, 2 of them stripped out on me. Add that to the list of repairs.
So the only logical explanation is the fuel injector on #5 wasn't working. So my plan was to replace the fuel injectors. I bought a used set off eBay for $40.
I figured while I was getting into the fuel injectors, I might as well do some other preventative maintenance. I changed the timing belt and water pump. While I was in there, I noticed the water neck pulley was loud and had play, so I replaced that. Also drained and flushed the radiator, replaced the thermostat, and filled it up with Toyota red coolant.
When I took the fuel injectors out, I was surprised to see that the 3 out of the 6 injectors were partially clogged, and one COMPLETELY clogged.
After seeing all the sediment in the injectors, I realized I'd also have to replace the fuel filter. And of course, the connections going to the fuel filter were sized. I figured I would replace the lines going to and from filter. I disconnected the line running to the engine, but the line going back to the fuel pump was sized too. So, that means I had to replace the fuel pump bracket as well. Upon removing the fuel pump bracket, I broke 4 out of the 6 bolts holding it to the tank. I ended up just putting a few self tapping screws to hold the bracket in place, and then used a bunch of RTV to seal everything up. Here's how the fuel filter looked after cutting it in half. Notice how the paper element is clogged with sediment, and the nice sludge in the middle.
So after a few hundred dollars in parts, the truck is back up and running.
A while ago, while changing my oil at the shop, the cheesy AutoZone lift blocks cracked it half, causing my pinion to tilt up, which ripped the ears of the yoke off and spit out my drive shafts! After replacing the yoke and u joint, I set out to find an alternative to the lift blocks. What I decided on was a Jeep TJ coil spring used as a helper spring, mounted in between the frame and the ubolt plate. More details to follow, but here are some pics to look at.
Coil spring temporarily mounted. I'm currently working on a permanent mounting setup that will capture the coil so it won't fall out upon articulation.
I took the rig for a test drive, and I have a bad vibration. Come to find out, the drive shaft is bent! So I'm currently trying to either get the shaft re-tubbed or get a replacement shaft.
OBA Setup (On Board Air)
I've been planning out and collecting parts for my OBA setup for my truck. It will consist of (2) MV-50 12v air compressors, a 3 gallon air tank, 2 tire fillers, and an air horn from a semi truck, with a pull chain style horn switch. I'm currently tracking down fittings and hoses, and then I will mount everything up. The horn is around 25 inches long, and will mount to the inside frame rail on the passenger side near the starter, the tank will be mounted around where the factory spare tire mount once was, and the compressors will be mounted behind the plastic panels in the cargo area in the back. Stay tuned for complete details and pictures. For now, here is a rough sketch of the setup
Click for a larger version
I finally got around to doing some work to the OBA. I got the tank mounted in place. I used some flat stock I used from Lowe's, and bent it around the tank, and then bent 2 90 degrees in it and ran a bolt through it. I then attached the 2 brackets to the spare tire carrier, so that it's tucked up nicely between the body and the spare tire frame. This wouldn't be possible if I didn't have a 3" body lift. I still need to bend the tailpipe a little bit because right now it is too close to the tank and might rattle.
Next up is mounting the air horn. For now, here are some pics of the tank